The 27th International Conference on Optical Network Design and Modelling (ONDM 2023) took place in Coimbra, Portugal, during 08-11 May 2023.
Following the tradition of past ONDM conferences, ONDM 2023 addressed cutting-edge research in established areas of optical networking and their adoption in support of a wide variety of new services and applications. This includes the most recent trends such as 5G and beyond, data-centre networking, Internet of things, cloud/edge computing, content delivery, big data, data analytics, network telemetry, real-time monitoring, autonomic networking, artificial intelligence / machine learning assisted networks, visible light networks and quantum secured networks.
In the framework of ONMD 2023, the workshop entitled Challenges of optical communications in the 6G era: a view from EU projects took place in Universidade de Coimbra, Department of Mathematics- Room 17 de Abril. It was organized by Luis Velasco (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya) and João Pedro (Infinera) and chaired by Marc Ruiz Ramírez (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya). Six EU projects were invited to participate in this workshop and TeraFlow, presented by Ramón Casellas, was amongst them.
Invited European Commission funded projects and speakers are:
- Filippo Cugini (CNIT - Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni): B5G-OPEN - Towards packet-optical multi-band optical networks
- Ramon Casellas (Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC)): SEASON - Sustainable High Capacity Autonomous Optical Networks
- Antonio Napoli, PhD (Infinera): ALLEGRO - Enabling high-capacity bidirectional transmission with coherent pluggable for 5G applications
- Marija Furdek (Chalmers University of Technology) & Ramon Casellas: TeraFlowSDN - A cloud-native SDN controller for 5G and beyond
- Antonio De La Oliva (Charles III University of Madrid): PREDICT-6G Project - The importance of predictability in 6G networks
- Gergely Pongracz (Ericsson): DESIRE6G - Deep Programmability and Secure Distributed Intelligence For Real-Time end-to-end 6G Networks
There was also a panel discussion at the end of the workshop.