In order to on-board users to ETSI TeraFlowSDN, we have prepared an intuitive virtual tutorial, which includes all the basic knowledge to understand and use ETSI TeraFlowSDN.
During last years, novel protocols and data models are arising to control and monitor packet optical network equipment. This tutorial offers an overview and hands-on experience on programming the necessary tools to control and monitor the packet optical networks, while introducing ETSI TeraFlowSDN as the cloud-native SDN controller that enables smart connectivity services for future networks beyond 5G. This need bread of cloud native SDN controllers allows rapid prototyping and experimentation in R&D and standardization activities.
First an overview on YANG data modelling language and NETCONF protocol is presented. Later, SDN controller is introduced. Then, we proceed to detail dynamic establishment of L3VPN using OpenConfig routers. Later, RESTconf interfaces are explained and ONF Transport API is exploited to obtain network information.
The tutorial enables participants to:
- Learn and use the necessary open source tools to control and monitor packet optical networks.
- Develop simple code for NETCONF agents and clients. Learn to create the necessary bindings.
- Understand OpenConfig data models and how to use them to control and monitor network equipment.
- Obtain practical hands-on experience on RESTconf-based interfaces for Control of Transport Networks.
- Develop a monitoring application using gRPC and gNMI protocols.
- Understand and implement publish/subscribe mechanisms for data using Kafka broker.
This tutorial is prepared for the following audience:
- Network Operators and Service providers, who want to get first-hand operational experience with TeraFlowSDN Controller
- System Integrators, who want to develop their expertise with TeraFlowSDN
- Academia and Universities, who are using or considering TeraFlowSDN as a platform for their research activities in networking
- TeraFlowSDN developers and users that want to share and test with the community
- Members of other research projects interested in using TeraFlowSDN Controller in their research and proof-of-concept activities.